4pure

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The daring cooks: brining and roasting

  

Audax of Audax Artifax was our November 2012 Daring Cooks’ host. Audax has brought us into the world of brining and roasting, where we brined meat and vegetables and roasted them afterwards for a delicious meal!

Yes, it worked. I couldn't get my layout quite working last week, but after some help and troubleshooting I'm finally ready to blog the daring cooks recipe (too late I know, but that was because of the problems).

I've never heard of brining before. So this was a great challenge to try something new. I choose to take a salmon, because we love the fish, but roasting a fish can be quite challenging.

And I'm glad I did. The seasoning was good, the roasting went terrific and everyone liked it.

For the recipe:
I found this recipe on ehow.com and was very fond of it.

Ingredients:
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 265 grams seasalt;
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper;
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper;
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce;
- 120 mL water;

Preparation:
Heat 60 mL of the water. Dissolve the sugar and salt in it. Poor in the rest of the water, soy sauce and both peppers. Place the salmon fillets in the mixture, with the skin-side down, making sure everything is covered by the brine. Leave the salmon in the brine for about 24 hours. Place the salmon on a rack to dry and let the excess brine drip off.

Heat the grill pan. Coat the salmon with sunflower oil. Grill on both sites until the salmon is done.

For the end result:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!